Heavy rains batter Mumbai City
At least five people have been killed in rain-related incidents as heavy showers battered large areas of Mumbai and other parts of Maharashtra, affecting road traffic and rail operations, IANS reported. Heavy rains lashed Mumbai early Monday morning resulting in waterlogging at several places including roads in and around Dadar Hindmata, Kurla, Santacruz Chembur Link Road, Mithi River bridge in Kurla and Kalina.
The Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) has predicted that heavy to very heavy rain will continue in the city. More than 50 buses of BEST have been diverted due to waterlogged roads. However, the rainfall has not affected the operations at the Mumbai airport till now. “These heavy showers are due to a cyclonic circulation over north Konkan and adjoining south Gujarat and another circulation in the Bay of Bengal. We expect the rain activity to increase in the coming week, with scattered heavy to very heavy rain on June 27 and 28 in parts of north Konkan, including Mumbai,” an IMD official said.
Owing to the heavy showers, several parts of the city, like Dharavi, Sion, Matunga, Hindmata, Malad, Kurla, Andheri subway, Bhandup, Worli and Lower Parel, were flooded with water up to two to three feet, and vehicles got stuck in some places.
At least five people have been killed in rain-related incidents as heavy showers battered large areas of Mumbai and other parts of Maharashtra, affecting road traffic and rail operations.
Road caves in Gol Masjid
Car Parking Wall Collapses
Waterlogging between Sion hospital flyover and Matunga flyover. At least two vehicles have broken down on this stretch leading to a traffic jam.
Thane Railway Station:
Suburban trains on main, harbour and transharbour lines are running in spite of heavy rains. pic.twitter.com/KmHPY3udCE
— Central Railway (@Central_Railway) June 25, 2018
Waterlogging is increasing in some pockets of Mumbai.
Here are some of the points where road diversion points have been set up due to Mumbai Rains:
– Morarji nagar powai via JVLR
– Filterpada powai via JVLR
– Siddharth hospital goregaon 4)Milan subway
– Chembur Fatak via diamond garden route no:360,357
– Sion Road No 24 via main road
– Pratiksha Nagar via Jai Shankar yadlik marg.
– National College Bandra via Khar Signal Link Road.
– Maheshwari Udyaan via Bhaudaji Road King Circle
Flight delays are here:
– Departures of 26 flights delayed. And that’s only for flights scheduled to depart by noon.
– Arrival of 9 flights delayed. Again, that’s only for those scheduled to land by noon.
– We can expect this to get worse.
– If you are set to fly, please check flight status before leaving home.